AFL-CIO unions and our members are committed partners in our communities, which leads many to volunteering in a range of community services – from charitable giving to running programs that help families in economic or personal crisis. The AFL-CIO has an extensive Community Services Network with more than 160 full-time liaisons who link their state and local labor councils with the United Way in communities across the county.
In the State of Hawaii we have 4 full-time liaisons who serve the needs of working families in the Hawaiian Islands. The liaisons coordinate and provide valuable services for those suffering from natural disasters, financial hardship, illness, joblessness and other difficulties.
The mission statement of the Hawaii State AFL-CIO Labor Community Service Program is working through our partnerships to unite organizations, working people, and resources to build a healthier community.
What we do:
• Our community service committee strengthens our community by promoting volunteerism and promoting a sense of responsibility by organizing various service projects.
• We are a safety net for union members. We are a one stop source of information and services especially tailored to union members.
• We conduct workshops that help prepare union members for changes at home and the workplace.
• Conducts the United Way fundraising campaign which raises funds for agencies that help our community.
Helping build a stronger community:
• Union Community Activist Network (UCAN) Training
• Nelson Mandela International Day Community Service Project
• National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) “Stamp Out Hunger” Food Drive
• Labor of Love: A Give Back Project
• Norman Ahakuelo Labor Award
• American Labor Merit Badge Clinic– Aloha Council Boy Scouts of America
• AFL-CIO Food Pantry / Food Assistance Program
• Kako’o I Na Keiki Initiative Partnership with KAPA Radio & HIUW
• Annual Holiday Project
• Hawaii Island United Way Labor Campaign Coordinator
Labor Liaison in the Community: August – 2015
Labor Liaison in the Community: July – 2015
Labor Liaison in the Community: June – 2015
Labor Liaison in the Community: May – 2015
Labor Liaison in the Community: April – 2015
Labor Liaison in the Community: March – 2015
Labor Liaison in the Community: February – 2015
Labor Liaison in the Community: January – 2015